Hidden in My Heart - Watercolor Activity
Hidden in My Heart Watercolor Painting
Last year, while studying history, we learned of an old painting technique. To recreate it, the book taught us to write with a white crayon and then watercolor over it.
And who doesn't like a hidden message?!? Boys and girls alike will love this activity. Toddler friendly too!
- Watercolor paper
- Watercolors and brush (or cotton ball)
- Water in a glass
- White crayon
- Masking Tape
- Optional: Cardstock for mounting and double-stick tape
- This is optional, but if you want a crisp clean border, mask off the edges with masking tape. You can put this onto a clipboard or straight onto the table.
- Write your hidden message or scripture onto the smoothest side of your watercolor paper with white crayon. Push hard. You can see my uh-oh example of when I didn't push hard enough.
- Now, you can send these off as cards in the mail like I did with instructions to paint over it. That's fun because your recipients get to do the art and discover your message themselves! Include a set of watercolors to be extra cutsie! : )
- Or, you can sit down and have at it with your kids! Let them loose with the watercolors. They just wash the paint over and discover the message written in crayon!
- Ta-da!!! Let dry and enjoy! You can mount these using double-stick tape to cardstock if desired.
Scriptures on Hiddenness:
I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you. -Psalm 119:11 (Draw hearts too!)
In Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. -Colossians 2:3
I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord. -Isaiah 45:3
Hide me in the shadow of your wings. -Psalm 91
Notes to Self:
- Don't try other tapes for your borders. I tried electrical, scotch, and painter's tape. They either ripped up the cardstock backing or they ripped up the watercolor border.
- If you didn't push hard enough (like I did the first few times), no worries! There are no mistakes in art! Just write your verse over the top with a pencil or pen. And admire that there's always grace and beauty to be found. This is a good time to demonstrate a cool attitude to your kids when things don't go like we hoped.